Three simple options
What is Umbrella Insurance?
Umbrella insurance is basically extra coverage. If coverage in another policy that you have doesn’t protect you fully, umbrella insurance extends beyond those limits and can cover you for injuries, property damage, certain lawsuits, and situations that involve the Condominium Associations liability.
How Does It Work?
Having an umbrella insurance policy protects you in these two ways:
- When the limits of your General Liability and Directors and Officers Liability are exceeded, umbrella insurance provides excess/extra coverage.
- Umbrella insurance provides the additional coverage for claims such as false arrest, libel, slander, and coverage on rental units that you own as an association.
What Does It Cover?
When one of your primary insurance policies reaches its limit of coverage your umbrella insurance will pick up the from that point. In most cases, umbrella insurance covers:
- Property damage
- Most Lawsuits
- Situations that involve Directors and Officers personally
You might think that you don’t need umbrella insurance because you already have effective General Liability and Directors and Officers. But no matter how good your policies are, umbrella coverage goes above and beyond those.
Umbrella Coverage for most associations is purchased between $5,000,000 and $100,000,000. This of course is unique for each association based on the need and also the number of units within an association. Here are some examples of claims where the association Umbrella will step in and provide coverage above the primary policies.
- A car accident where the association is at fault and the claim is over $1,000,000
- A fatality occurs on association property
- A Director or Officer fails to renew the property insurance and a tornado causes significant damage to the community.
- Proper Maintenance or replacement of a sprinkler system was not done and it results in a $2.5 mil water loss to a high rise community
Additional coverage is provided if you’re sued for:
- False arrest
- Malicious prosecution
- Shock/mental anguish
How Umbrella Insurance Can Help You
Umbrella insurance pays what your policies don’t cover. Sometimes, that could be a small amount of money, but other times, it could mean thousands upon thousands of dollars.
At CIG, we want the best for our customers, which is why we recommend umbrella insurance to everyone. Give us a call today to talk to an agent about your coverage.
Have a question?
Talk to an expert.
Have a question about your Condominium Association’s Liability needs and if an Umbrella is needed? Talk to one of our agents to find a policy that works for you.